Monday, July 10, 2006

TV in the Bedroom

Pretty and I don't have satellite service on our bedroom tv like we do through the rest of the house. It was one stipulation that I made a few years ago when I acquiesced to a television in our room at all.

My reasoning was not high-minded nor complex. I simply did not want my bed to become like Ned's in "One Fish Two Fish":

"...I do not like
this bed at all.
A lot of things
have come to call.
A cow, a dog, a cat a mouse.
Oh! What a bed! Oh! What a house!"

i.e. If our bedroom tv were SpongeBob-ready, I'd end up like my poor friend Eric.

For the first year, this arrangement worked great - "NewsRadio" was newly-syndicated and Phil Hartman's Bill McNeal was the funniest character since Ted Baxter in the early years of MTM. But as endless episodes of "Frasier" and "Raymond" began polluting the tube, I gravitated back to (gasp!) reading.

Recently, I stumbled upon a new (to me) BBC sitcom called "Keeping up Appearances" on PBS. British comedy has always been one of two compelling reasons to keep government tv. (That hippie painter who talked like he was luring a 6 year-old into his cargo van being the other.)

I'm hooked. Here are Hyacinth Bucket ("Bouquet, spelled B-U-C-K-E-T. Bouquet.") and Onslow, her brother-in-law, a limey Homer Simpson. My two favorite characters.

Give it a shot - 10:00. Oops - 9:58. Gotta go!

3 comments:

Eric said...

Thanks for the shout-out. Glad to be held up as an object of pity. As for your show recommendation, it sounds interesting, but 10:00 is a pretty competitive time-slot in our bedroom. Between the news, SportsCenter, late-night Twins games, the Daily Show and Jill's favorite, "Sex and the City," how can I squeeze in your British comedy? But I will try to check it out, just for you.

Mamadala said...

May have to check that show out. No TV in our bedroom, though. We just read, surf on our laptops posting on blogs and forums, and, ummmm... make twins... *blush*

Mamadala said...

Oh, I forgot to mention: even without the draw of TV, we still end up having regular slumber parties in our room. I've kicked them off the bed - they have to sleep on the floor - but for some reason they still like sleeping in our room when we let them.