Monday, July 03, 2006

Happy Birthweek

#1 turns 9 years old next week. (NINE YEARS?!?! Holy crap!)

I just received an email from my dad - he's going to be out of town for the kid's actual birthday and wants to know if we could hold an additional party the day after.

Why the hell not? As far as I can tell, we're already having five parties commemmorating this earth-shaking event. One for school friends, one for neighborhood friends (guess those two groups don't mix well in social settings), one for my family, one for Pretty's family (I know those two groups don't mix well in social settings)and finally one for any stragglers who just like to party - the guys who painted our house last summer, for instance.

I understand "Wild On" caught wind of this impending bender and plans to send a video crew to follow us around for the week.

OK; maybe I exaggerate. But when did observing a kid's birthday become the freakin' Rose Bowl? I pondered this question last night and after hours of exhaustive research, I pinpointed the genesis of this phenomenon:

6 comments:

Jill said...

Love that movie!

Cool banner.

zokc said...

Thanks, MM! You've certainly set the bar high though... Wow.

Mamadala said...

I hate birthday parties. I'm such a bad mom that way. But I did give Emmadala a nice princess party.

One year I didn't give any of my kids birthday parties all year (except family dinners). So at the end of the summer (after all their birthdays had passed) we had one big party for all of them at once. Ages 8,6,4 and 1. It was awesome. A short movie at the theater, and then pizza and cake at a local park with water sprinklers and balloons. 50 kids and adults total.

This year, X-tron and Bo are FORCING me to give them a party since they haven't had one for three years. So we are combining and having one big party at WaterPark of America. It's over the top, I think, but I'm feeling guilty. And if I divide by 6 (three years, two kids), it's not much time, money, or effort on my part.

Don't give in! Stand your ground! (Unless you want your kids to actually like you and not have to have therapy when they grow up because their parents didn't even love them enough to let them have a birthday party. Sheesh.)

Allee said...

Mamadala - not only did you throw a nice princess party for Emmadala, you threw the EXACT same party for her the next year. I guess if it works. . .

What party am I invited to for #1 big day? If you are having 5 parties, I would think I would get an invite for one of them (I mean I did meet him once at your house about 5 years ago when I was borrowing your video camera.)

Sloanasaurus said...

Hey wait, didn't the experts say that #1 is not allowed to socialize? Instead of parties you should find a nice quiet government study to participate in.

Anonymous said...

Just roll with it. It doesn't hurt a kid to know that he is special to all those people. My only objection with kids' birthday parties for the last couple of decades is how elaborate they have gotten. Rather than putting on a mini-bar/bat mitzvah, why not just have a simple party? Most kids would be just as happy for the recognition of their big day.

BTW, Happy Birthday to #1. Lucky him and lucky you that he has a July birthday (read "outdoors.")