Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A Meek Return

Yes, it's been awhile. Family events, a funeral and a reunion, have kept me away.

My grandmother passed on last month
. She was 95. Growing up, I always looked forward to the end of my long baseball season when my family would pack up and drive to western Montana, where we would spend weeks with my grandparents splashing in a cold mountain lake, fishing mountain rivers and generally enjoying a taste of Mountain Life.

I remember the giant zucchinis she grew in her garden, picking raspberries at the house and huckleberries in Glacier Park, long, slow walks through pine forests with her pointing out Indian Paintbrush and Oregon Berries, endlessly jumping off rocks and docks into that aquamarine lake under her watchful eye, browned butter (it's the Polish way, she would say) poured over fresh green beans and that huckleberry pie which no earthly words could describe.

But what I will take to my grave is the way she always, regardless of how badly I felt I was screwing up my life at any given time, made me feel like the most important person in the world. Without fail.

I miss you, Grandma.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Sorry about your Grandma C-koz. 95 well-lived years, I'm sure. Your post is a nice tribute.

Eric said...

Death is always sad, but getting to 95 is pretty impressive. I seriously doubt I'll ever make it that long. I know you were always very close to her and your post makes it clear why. Well done.

Anyway, it turns out they just got the Internet in heaven and I'm pretty sure your grandma is blogging from The Great Beyond and appreciates your kind words. Not to mention that the Montana Board of Tourism wants to hire you. I know I'm thinking of planning a summer trip out there after reading this post.

zokc said...

Thanks to you both for the kind words. I can't believe you're still checking in to this cyber-cowpasture.

You two need to go where the internet has not yet taken hold. I know of a nice place west of here...

Allee said...

Did the same person write these last 2 posts?

Sorry to hear about your grandma. Sounds like a wonderful lady.

I agree with Eric, the internet must have made it to heaven by now!

zokc said...

Funny, Allee, I didn't even realize the polar nature of my last two posts.

Kind of like creative writing class...

I'll try to get more cantankerous soon.

Anonymous said...

So sweet, C-koz; it sounds like your grandma lived a wonderful life and was truly loved. Who can ask for more?